Monday, October 24, 2005

Dawn of War Winter Assault

This weekend I installed the Dawn of War expansion pack called winter Assault. Getting free space wasn't much of an issue. The installer was a pain.

First the I had to restore the original executable so that the installer would work, since the official patches didn't seem to be useable. Unistalling the game did not work for some weird reason, so I had to manually delete it, and hunt it down in the registry. After a long day at work, this is exaclty what I didn't want to have to do. Stuff in the registry was scattered over multipel profiles, only after deleting those entries in every profile, I saw "Install game" instead of "Play game", all of that just because the uninstall did not work.

The third time around, after reinstalling the original game and the expansion pack, I finally succeeded. Why the developers don't remove the CD check once they supply patches is beyond me. Always digging out those valuable original CDs, just because of a CD check is an annoyance.

At the time when I could start having a look at the new features, I was highly annoyed and more interested in uninstalling rather than playing the game. Due to the unstinstall previously designed skins and banners also did not come across to the new installation.

The official patches are a pain as well sicne they are incremental. Tehy might be smaller to download (especially on a 56K Modem), but to do any updates is a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment