Thursday, November 18, 2010

Damn Small Linux installation on a PC with issues

For two weeks as I had time, I have tried to install some operating system (Windows or Linux) on my old Pentium 3. The media restriction was CD ROM only since there is no USB booting option.

Windows XP installation bluescreened after formatting, Ubuntu Desktop could not find the live media that it just booted from, Ubuntu Server at least told me what the real problem was, GOS just froze, Mint died terribly, Damn Small Linux (DSL) twice nearly completed and once it told me that it could not read files. In the end it turned out that the CD ROM drive somehow switches off or something similar. Ubuntu Server and Damn Small Linux (DSL) essentially told me what the issue was.

After an installation without a username and password question, I had a system where I could not log in. After reading FAQs and forums, I concluded to install DSL yet again, this time with parameters to ask for those. Finally had a working system.

No comments:

Post a Comment