Monday, May 31, 2010

Windows 7 partition issues with reboot loop

This last weekend I had some Windows 7 installation issues when I got myself a new HDD. The plan was to do dual booting like I had on my previous drive which was busy failing.

The initial Windows 7 installatino took long as usual with long waiting for the wallpaper with the mouse pointer. Why there is not anything more informative at that stage is a mystery to me. Some people might think that their PC has frozen. Once the Windows 7 installation was completed, I installed the latest LTS version of Ubuntu. Once that was done, I booted into Windows 7 and formatted the new drive. For some strange reason, the disk management tool was insisting that I had to make the partition dynamic. I might have read wrong and it was for the whole disk. Since I already had the other primary partitions and just needed a data partition, I thought it might just be another "user friendly" term for extended or logical partition.

This process ended up causing a reboot loop because all existing primary partitions suddenly ended up also being dynamic. This was a bulk change and I was really impressed by the reboot loop.

The next step was to start fresh with a new Windows 7 installation, just to find that I had to wait much longer than before and that the partition editor that came on the Windows 7 DVD was useless and could not even delete the partitions. I ended up having to clean up the mess running Ubuntu from the DVD which has a desktop and various tools that can be used while installating Ubuntu Linux onto the drive. Any owner of only Windows 7 would be helpless if that dynamic disk thing hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment