Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Bad day

The public holiday yesterday was full of problems. The first thing was trying to sort out a sudden sound muting problem on Windows 98, which turned out to happen when the PC speaker volume of the Sound Blaster 16 goes a bit over the halfway mark, then everything else becomes really soft.
The day before was a long story to get the ethernet card to be the first out of five devices on Windows 98, since Windows 98 doesn't know about routing.

Yesterday afternoon the fun continued with a total system freeze, installing a new version of Nero, just to find that it is an immediately expired demo after it made sure that my old vrsion from my original CD is unistalled and I didn't have that CD with me. The system freeze was finally resolved by reseating the DIMMs since the memory was reported as half of what it should be when I tried to install Linux to get at least some CD burning going, since Windows wasn't able to do it on that drive. The BIOS and Windows never reported the memory problem, so I had to use Linux to figure out what is going on.

B. K. E.

No comments:

Post a Comment